Emotion regulation skills are necessary for everyone throughout the lifespan. We all experience a range of emotions, all our emotions are functional and important. However, the way we manifest behaviours are sometimes unhealthy. By learning how to regulate our emotions, we will have more functional relationships, and feel healthier internally and externally.
Our Emotion Regulation program is based on the evidence-based, well-researched Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Model (CBT), creatively designed by our clinicians who have 20 years of research experiences. We have used several curriculums including the well-researched, Zones of Regulation Curriculum, which is sometimes partially taught at schools.
If you are looking for a program to help enhance your child’s social learning, executive functioning, and / or emotional regulation this program is a great fit.
Which children is this for?
- The program is useful for all children and currently we accept 6 to14 years old children
- It is also beneficial to help with children
- Who have difficulty regulating emotions with parents, siblings and/or peers
- The children who get angry, have tantrums, or have anxiety and show extreme emotional responses
- Their parents are seeking support/tools to manage emotional dysregulation
- This group is suitable for children without a diagnosis as well as those with a diagnosis e.g. ADHD, ASD, Learning Disability, or behavioural challenges
- Please note that the group is not suitable for children with high level of behavioural or emotional challenges. You can ask us about suitability of your child.
「Managing one’s emotions and regulating behaviour」 are complex and require our children to carry out a desirable action while simultaneously thinking, monitoring, and controlling their behaviour in many ways. These fun lessons are designed to help children understand their different internal emotions, sensory needs, and thinking patterns and to help them develop tools to navigated between different emotional experiences and responses」
Weekly Agenda & Learning Topics
- Week 1: Introduction to the group. What are emotions?
- Week 2: Understanding triggers, emotions, bodily changes, and reactions.
- Week 3: Emotional literacy: what is the range of our emotions?
- Week 4-7: CBT basics: Identifying emotions and thoughts.
- Weeks 8: Creating a toolbox to use.
- Week 9: Recap and regulation mapping.
- Week 10: Saying goodbye.
Program developers: Dr. Joyce Vromen, PhD, MPsy, BPsySc, Cognitive Psychologist; Dr Amelia Shay, PhD, MPsy, BPsySc, Developmental Psychologist
Clinicians: Letitia McVey, Dr Lisa Wittenhagen
Current Dates & Schedule
- Dates: Upcoming group will start in January 2022
- Available days and times are:
- Mondays 5pm and 6pm
- Tuesday 5pm and 6pm
- Saturdays 9am, 10:30am, 12:30pm, 2pm and 3:30pm
- It is not mandatory to attend all ten weeks, but it is highly recommended. Makeup sessions are not available.
- $100 per session per child (if your child is 7 and above) or $120 for children who are using NDIS support for groups of 4, or $150 if only two children in the group.
- Full payment is required at the latest two weeks before starting the group. Medicare rebates is not available.