8 Weeks Self Regulation and Emotion Regulation Program for School-Aged Children
Our program is based on the evidence-based, well-researched Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Model (CBT), creatively designed by our clinicians who have 20 years of research experiences. We have used several curriculums including the well-researched, Zones of Regulation Curriculum, which is sometimes partially taught at schools.
If you are looking for a program to help enhance your child’s social learning, executive functioning, and / or emotional regulation this program is a great fit.
Which children is this for?
- Children who are 6 to14 years old
- Who have difficulty regulating emotions with parents, siblings and/or peers
- The children who get angry, have tantrums, or have anxiety and show extreme emotional responses
- Their parents are seeking support/tools to manage emotional dysregulation
- This group is suitable for children without a diagnosis as well as those with a diagnosis e.g. ADHD, ASD, Learning Disability, or behavioural challenges
「Managing one’s emotions and regulating behaviour」 are complex and require our children to carry out a desirable action while simultaneously thinking, monitoring, and controlling their behaviour in many ways. These fun lessons are designed to help children understand their different internal emotions, sensory needs, and thinking patterns and to help them develop tools to navigated between different emotional experiences and responses」
Weekly Agenda & Learning Topics
- Week 1: Introduction to the group, emotion regulation basics
- Week 2: How do I feel? The principles of emotional literacy
- Week 3: Understanding our emotions and how we respond to them
- Week 4: How emotions, behaviours, and thoughts affect us (CBT basics)
- Week 5: Understanding our behaviour in response to any outside stimuli
- Week 6: Emotional triggers, bodily reactions, emotional responses
- Week 7: Creating a toolbox to use
- Week 8: When and how to use my self-regulation toolbox, saying goodbye
Clinicians and program developers: Dr. Joyce Vromen, PhD, MPsy, BPsySc, Cognitive Psychologist (provisional); Dr Amelia Shay, PhD, MPsy, BPsySc, Developmental Psychologist
Dates & Schedule
- Dates: Every Friday beginning 6th August 2021 – ending 24th of September
- Times: Group 1 runs from 3:30pm to 4:30pm – Group 2 runs from 5pm – 6pm
- It is not mandatory to attend all eight weeks, but it is highly recommended. Makeup sessions are not available.
Fees and Medicare Rebate:
- $80 per session per child (or $100 for children who are using NDIS support)
- Full payment of $640 (or $800 for NDIS supported clients) is required at the latest two weeks before starting the group. Medicare rebates of $200 can be obtained, on a session-by-session basis, if you bring a Mental Health Care plan for your child.
Duration: 8 Weeks
Groups: Consists of 6 to 10 children, with two qualified clinicians
Objectives: Learning different skills that help with self-regulation and emotional control
Therapy House runs Clay Therapy Workshops for children and adults
Therapeutic play with children is an effective clinical intervention that has been successfully utilized by therapists for many years. Various techniques of play therapy have been used ranging from free play to structured projects with great therapeutic success. Clay therapy is known as an effective tool to use with children and adults. Thousands of therapists who currently employ Clay therapy report its usefulness and the effectiveness (Sherwood, 2004).
Clay has always been a toy for children and a natural source to get in touch with inner parts of oneself. Therapists use clay as a means to enhance the therapeutic relationship and support the clinical process. Clay provides children with a natural method of connection and expression (Schaefer & Kaduson, 2006).
We use Clay therapy as a means to help children gain awareness of their unacknowledged emotions. Making Clay figurines is a gentle way for children to portray their negative emotions into something they have created themselves and give them a tool to get in touch, at a deeper and more engaged level, with those unaddressed emotional experiences. This is a powerful tool for anyone to uncover their challenging and suppressed emotions through a safe and positive avenue.
Duration: 2 hours
Price: $120 per person